It’s truly a team effort here at SquadBuilders, and from time to time, we like to feature one of our staffers. Today, you’ll meet Michelle Araj, from HR and Payroll through this Q&A session, and we hope you enjoy getting to know everybody on the team!
1. What do you love about working at SquadBuilders?
I would really have to say the people I work with. There really is an atmosphere here where we all enjoy each other's company and even the toughest day seems better if you have coworkers that make you smile.
2. How many years' experience have you had in HR/Payroll?
I've been at SquadBuilders for 7 years now. At first I just did staffing, but pretty quickly I also started to do HR and Payroll, which I have been doing for about 6 and a half years now.
3. Who is your hero and why?
Growing up, I had so many heroes that came from the pages of books, history, and from my favorite TV shows (which were mostly Sci Fi). Who can resist that draw of Joan of Arc, Buffy Summers, Captian Jean-Luc Picard, or Princess Leia Organa? These days my heroes are people who try to make the world a better place. People like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye, who encourage science education; Nelson Mandela, who fights against injustice; and J. K. Rowling, who writes books that instill a love of reading in children- while teaching that good has to fight to prevail against evil.
4. What book are you reading right now?
I tend to read a lot, and jump around from book to book. Currently I am reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. It's about a woman from the WW2 era in Scotland who is transported back in time to 18th century. I am also reading "How to be a Tudor" by Ruth Goodman. It is a non-fiction book about daily life in Tudor England.
5. KU or Mizzou?
I'm a Florida native, so FSU all the way. But if I had to pick between KU or Mizzou, I would pick KU.
6. Name two interesting things about yourself?
(1) I'm part of a medieval and renaissance reenactment group called the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). As part of this group I have learned/tried (to varying degrees of success ) weaving, traditional archery, medieval cooking, embroidery and heraldry. My husband is learning to sword fight.
(2) I grew up in Pensacola, Florida on the sugar white beaches. I moved to Kansas City in 2009 after getting engaged to my husband after dating long distance for 2 years. I moved not knowing anyone in the city and with no job. It was also the best thing I've ever done. I love Kansas City and have found great friends here and really view my move as the beginning of my adult life (even if I was 26).
7. My favorite KC BBQ is?
My dirty secret is that I'm not that fond of BBQ. My favorite Kansas City restaurant is Em Chamas- which is a Brazilian rodizio restaurant. When I do go to BBQ I prefer Joe's Kansas City or Jack Stack, depending on the mood I'm in (and how much money my husband is willing to spend).
8. What is your favorite web site or app?
Honestly..... Amazon Video or Netflix.
9. What song best describes your work ethic?
Wow, this is going to sound really odd, but Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up". It may just because I was Rick Rolled last night and it's stuck in my head, but the basic premise is me- I'm loyal, and I try my best not to let the people I work with down.
10. What do you want someone walking through the door at SquadBuilders to know about the company? About yourself?
I want people to know that SquadBuilders really has the best interest of it's staff at heart, and if you are honest and do what you say you are going to do SquadBuilders will be very loyal to you.
Learn more about Michelle and the rest of our #SquadBuilders team by visiting us online or calling us at 913-871-0047.