LinkedIn is often regarded as the social media network of choice for working professionals. It is the most obvious job hunting social site and place for networking. Here are a few tips for how to use it to your advantage as you work to land the perfect job or internship:
1. Make sure your profile says what you want it to say about you. List your professional accomplishments and make sure you have your resume details and employment history up to snuff.
2. Don't stop at your immediate connections list, but go out another degree when finding and connecting with people.
3. If you are hunting for a job, ask people to help you further illustrate your professional story in the Skills & Endorsements and Recommendations sections.
4. Get information while becoming more visible to recruiters by joining LinkedIn Groups. Did you know that you can join as many as 50 groups and as many as 50 subgroups of those groups? *Hot Tip: Recruiters are known to hang out in groups looking for hot leads on employees. Groups often give you access to recruiters ad hiring managers.
Popular LinkedIn groups for job seekers include:
- JOBS: Job Openings, Job Leads and Job Connections
- Career Explorer
- A Job Needed — A Job Posted
LinkedIn Groups are pretty much what they sound like they’d be-- where people interested in similar topics gather. Some are job-specific, and others are industry focused. There are special interest groups, alumni groups and even regional groups, which are great for job seekers because they often advertise coming events or networking opportunities.
As you embark on or continue your job search, you’ll want to dust off your LinkedIn account and really make the most of it. It’s what your competition is doing and where the recruiters can be found! Check back next week for Part 2 and more info on using LinkedIn. #JoinTheSquad